Monthly Archives: October, 2011

Xcode Build Version Script Revisited

On my first release build (versus an Ad Hoc one for TestFlight), I discovered that Apple apparently doesn’t like such a lengthy build version number for releases. (ok, it is rather long…)

An updated version of the script is now available via BitBucket at XCode Tools.

There are a couple other older, undocumented, and essentially experimental tools in that repository as well. Should I revisit and clean up those as well, I’ll add them to a future blog post.

Advertisements

Career

Seemed like a good idea to gather up some info and links about some of the companies in my career that have been important, recent, or both.

bioMerieux

The major company I’d worked for in my career was bioMerieux.

VIDAS

I developed a good chunk of the firmware for the VIDAS instrument.

miniVIDAS

The follow-on instrument, the miniVIDAS, used the same boards and firmware from the VIDAS, but added an onboard computer to allow it to be fully self-contained. I developed all of the firmware for this add-on board, with the exception of the actual biological algorithm “engine” that processed the data points and returned the result. (this code was shared with the workstation software developed by the software group for the original VIDAS instrument)

Developing the firmware for the miniVIDAS was some of the most fun I’ve had in my career, and it’s one of the products I’m most proud to have gotten an opportunity to work on.

Vitek 2

After that, I did a lot of firmware for the Vitek 2 instrument. This was a lot of fun, and a chance to work with a larger team of very talented mechanical, electrical, and firmware engineers.

Vitek 2 Compact

This was a smaller version of the Vitek 2 instrument, with some of the automated sample prep features removed. You’d think that removing hardware would make this a pretty trivial project. Turns out, it was actually a huge development effort.
There were a lot of new features desired for this instrument. Another major factor was the impact to the workflow caused by requiring the user to manually move the samples from the vacuum-filler to the mechanism that sealed the cards and loaded them into the incubator.

Other

I worked on several other projects/products at bioMerieux, including the BactT/ALERT 3D, and the yet-to-be-announced, but very interesting and ambitious development effort I was involved in when I left the company. I’ll save some of those memories for a future post.

Aclara

Recently (2011), I spent some time working for Aclara before deciding the time was right to make a leap of faith and become an Independent Software Developer focused on apps for the Apple iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch devices.
I enjoyed my time there, and the topnotch engineers I got to work with. Cool technology at a good company.

While at Aclara, I spent most of my time working on firmware for one of the transponders that goes into electric meters.